We are dedicated to providing our patients with quality health care. Our goal is to be one of the best-performing hospitals in Kentucky and the nation. We have earned many honors that show how we are dedicated to quality.
The Joint Commission Accreditation
The Joint Commission has accredited each of our three hospitals. Those hospitals are Ephraim McDowell Regional Medical Center (EMRMC), Ephraim McDowell Fort Logan Hospital (EMFLH), and Ephraim McDowell James B Haggin Hospital (EMJBHH). This is a measure of the quality of care a facility provides.
Each of the three hospitals have earned certification as Acute Stroke Ready Hospitals through The Joint Commission.
EMRMC has Centers of Excellence for Joint and Spine Surgery as well as Hip Fracture after earning Gold Seals of Approval™ for health care excellence from The Joint Commission. This esteemed recognition for Joint Replacement, Spinal Surgery, and Hip Fracture means the hospital does the right things and does them well for Spinal Surgery, Total Hip Replacement, Total Knee Replacement, and Hip Fracture patients.
Bariatric Program Accreditation
Ephraim McDowell Regional Medical Center has a Bariatric Program. It has been accredited as a Comprehensive Center. This honor is by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program.
Commission on Cancer Accreditation
Ephraim McDowell Commonwealth Cancer Center has also earned recognition. It is recognized as a Commission on Cancer Accredited Program. This honor is by the American College of Surgeons.
Robotic Center of Excellence
Ephraim McDowell Regional Medical Center earned accreditation as a Center of Excellence in Robotic Surgery by Surgical Review Corporation. The accreditation means that EMRMC, along with Drs. George “Swope” Munday and David Montgomery have met nationally recognized standards.
We also have accreditations in mammography, CT scans, clinical laboratory and pathology, stereotactic breast biopsy, cardiovascular services, and pharmacy, given by their respective accrediting bodies.
Additionally, EMRMC is an accredited Chest Pain Center with PCI, meaning we meet or exceed benchmarks for rapidly diagnosing and treating patients who arrive with symptoms of a heart attack, thus reducing deaths and major adverse events.
Other quality recognitions:
- In 2022, EMRMC received the American College of Cardiology’s NCDR Chest Pain – MI Registry Silver Performance Achievement Award. Only 85 hospitals nationwide received the honor.
- Also in 2022, the Kentucky Hospital Association recognized EMRMC with a Quality Award. The award recognized programs improving the care of heart failure patients and preventing adverse outcomes to patients by properly responding to postpartum hemorrhage.
- In 2019, EMRMC was a High Performing Hospital for COPD services, named by US News & World Report.
- We have Pediatric Ready Emergency Departments at our three hospitals. They meet the criteria set by the Kentucky Pediatric Emergency Care Coalition in compliance with national recommendations and guidelines.
- EMRMC is one of the 100 Great Community Hospitals in the U.S. by Becker’s Hospital Review.
- EMRMC was recognized by the Kentucky Quality Improvement Organization for improvement in reducing its heart failure readmission rate
- EMRMC’s Emergency Department is recognized as one of the 2014 Best Hospitals for Patient Experience in Emergency Care
Another way we ensure quality? Our deadly germ-killing robot, Xena. The robot uses ultraviolet light to kill germs in patient rooms.