Direct Access Colonoscopy
Colon cancer is the second leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States. Most colon cancers begin as colon polyps. A screening colonoscopy can detect and remove non-cancerous colon polyps that can turn into cancer if not removed. As a result, it can prevent most colon cancer deaths. Unfortunately, most colon cancers are not discovered in time. Many times cancer has spread to other organs when it is detected.
Our Direct Access Colonoscopy program allows patients to schedule a screening colonoscopy directly. You can call a designated number or complete an online form. As a result, you can skip the pre-specialist doctor’s visit and follow-up visit. Thus, you save money on two co-pays and/or deductibles. In addition, you save time by not needing those two visits.
Colon cancer screenings are recommended at age 45. If you are in good health and age 45 and older, you may qualify for a direct access colonoscopy. You may need an office visit before any procedure if you have GI issues. These include abdominal pain, bleeding, or a change in bowel habits.
We will review your health conditions and determine if you meet eligibility requirements. If you do, our nurse will call you to review the instructions for the procedure. On the date of the procedure, a physician will review the procedure with you. The physician will perform the procedure. You will receive the results that day. In addition, we will send a report to your primary care physician. Thus, you will know the outcome on the same day of the procedure.
Are you eligible?
Who qualifies for a Direct Access Colonoscopy?
- Healthy asymptomatic patients aged 45 to 75 with an average risk of colon cancer
- Healthy asymptomatic patients with a family history of colon cancer or adenomatous colon polyps in a first-degree relative
- Healthy asymptomatic patients with a personal history of colon polyps who need to repeat a screening colonoscopy
Individuals do not qualify if any of the following apply:
- Age 75 or older
- Weight exceeding 350 pounds
- Artificial heart valve
- Lung disease that is steroid– or oxygen-dependent
- Sleep Apnea
- Heart attack, angina, or severe congestive heart failure in the past six months
- Bleeding/clotting disorders requiring anticoagulation medications
- Patient with automatic Implanted Catheter Defibrillator
- Insulin-dependent diabetes
Scheduling your colonoscopy
To schedule your Direct Access Colonoscopy, please complete the form below. After completing the form, our staff will contact you for more information to ensure you are eligible. If you prefer not to complete the online form, please call us at (859) 239-5871.